Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Funny Man Who Rode A Bike: How Robin Williams Changed My Dad's Life

Photo Courtesy of Team Sky; Source: reviews.mtbr.com

Since the recent passing of the utterly loved and talented Robin Williams, so many stories from random strangers and their inspiring encounters with this funny man are surfacing.  Well before his untimely death, I myself have shared a similar story time and time again of how my dad befriended the late Mr. Williams.

I really can't recall exactly how many years ago this was, but it must have been about 10 years or more.  My sisters and I had just greeted our father back from a recent cycling trip up north to the Bay Area and he told us that he had befriended Robin Williams.  It took us a minute for the name to register, so he exclaimed again, "Mrs. Doubtfire!"  Our eyes lit up with huge grins spreading across our faces.  He had our attention now.

I only remember this so well because I've told it quite a few times now and as I grew older I started to realize the importance of this story and started to become a bigger fan of his other works, although I do still own the VHS tapes of Aladdin and Mrs. Doubtfire.

My father explained that he had stopped during his cycling trip in Sausalito (a small waterfront town just north of San Francisco) to use a pay phone near a cafe with a juice bar.  He had called to check in with my mom.  When he hung up, he turned to see Mr. Williams standing behind him staring up; "Looks like it's going to fucking rain, right?!"

Those were the first words Mr. Williams said to my dad.

Williams had noticed my dad's expensive bike and guessed he must have been a serious cyclist.  My dad was not always a cyclist.  He was definitely a pretty active and sporty guy, but began cycling as a great way to challenge his endurance and manage his diabetes.  They talked for a while about cycling amongst other things.  At the end of it, Mr. Williams extended an offer to my dad to come check out his bike shop in the city.  Now we were never clear whether he owned it or just called it "his," but my father obliged and took him up on his offer.

Since then, my dad would go up to the Bay Area every chance he could and also visit the shop.  It is no longer there now, but it made my dad fall in love with the growing bike culture there and the city itself.  He became and still is an avid cyclist.  His encouragement also led me to eventually go away and attend college in San Francisco.

Although I live in Los Angeles now, I went up there to purchase my first bike almost 2 years ago because it really holds a special meaning to me.

It is also my father's birthday tomorrow; in fact, he just went for a ride today for his birthday.  When the news broke about Mr. Williams death 5 days ago, my heart also broke for my dad.  However, my father is a very understanding man who has gained more wisdom throughout life and believes we should accept, heal, and move forward by taking a note from the way Mr. Williams lived his life.

Thanks Robin Williams for the amazing impact you've had on others and all the good work your legacy will still continue to do for the rest of us.

It is not how you left us, but how you left us all feeling :)




No comments:

Post a Comment