Monday, May 16, 2011

¡Bueno!: San Telmo Sunday Markets do deliver

Antay Alvarez, student/ Jewelry Designer
     I have always dreamt of going to South America, particularly that of Argentina.  So when I had the opportunity to explore the city of Buenos Aires, I already had my bags packed before the ticket was purchased.  "Viva Buenos Aires!"
     After a grueling itinerary of multi-connected flights through Central and northern South America, 26 hours, and 3 planes later I was finally there (sigh).  I woke up the next morning in San Telmo at a very loud (literally and metaphorically) hostel with a Circus name and theme...lucky me...
     I realized I was just in time for the highly anticipated San Telmo Sunday markets that has become an avenue for local artists, designers, and the sort in Buenos Aires to showcase their hardwork to eager foreigners and city dwellers waiting to spend their disposable income.  The streets were cluttered with tourists and locals alike, trying to bargain their way from vendor to vendor.  There were many pieces of
handmade jewelry, handbags, and scarves, but one display in particular really caught my eye.

love it...
...lovin' it more!   

     Stone encrusted vintage-esque rings, necklaces, bracelets, and earrings adorned a medium sized table as a young petite girl shuffled behind it.  "Wow. You've got some cool stuff" was my introduction to her and she politely smiled and gave a confident nod.  I found out that she was an Argentinian college student studying art who's jewelry collection was made from everything found on the street or donated (apart from the stones).  This stuff was really captivating, had an aged-like quality to it, a good quality, like that of a 1943 bottled merlot.  Everything I tried on was amazing, but I had to limit myself to a few pieces or else I would have been eating 1 croissant per day for the remainder of my trip (may I add that I'm also gluten intolerant!)
     No buyer's remorse here; I am a very happy customer and can thank Antay and her amazing works of art for that.  I'll be sure to see her again the next time I set off to Buenos Aires with an empty suitcase and extra spending cash for her fabulous recycled and vintage jewelry!

      If you find yourself in Buenos Aires soon and want to know where and when to find Antay, send her an e-mail at antay_estay@hotmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment